Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Every turn of the page offers another peek into the mind of a 13-year-old girl named Mia. She sees colors related to numbers, letters and sounds but has kept this a secret ever since she was little and realized that other people do not see things the same way.

Once she finally admits this to her family, and after she sees a series of doctors, she realizes there is a name for her condition: synesthesia. This eye-opening book accurately depicts the condition, explaining how it is different for those who have it (called synesthetes) and that it is not a disease so it is not "catching" nor can it be "cured."

I was truly moved by Mia's story and Mass' writing. I -- a well-read grown woman who rarely if ever cries while reading books, listening to music, or watching television, movies, or plays -- cried in the middle of a store while reading this book.

If you are a pet owner or sensitive to animal storylines in books, you 1) will need Kleenex; and 2) should not read full reviews or summaries of the book which spoil the ending.

If you enjoyed this novel and wish to further your education / read more stories for children and teenagers about afflictions, I highly recommend Multiple Choice by Janet Tashjian and Kissing Doorknobs by Terry Spencer Hesser.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account