N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by ambeen

In recent years I have been reading a lot more supernatural books and they're fast becoming some of my favorites. The Summoning is a great set-up for the Darkest Powers Series.

The pacing is pretty slow for the first 200 pages. The mystery of what is going on is drawn out to a considerable length. The main characters inability to accept whats happening is a hindrance as well that does not seem to want to let up. The character even dislikes being thought of as dense, but continues to remain so. Luckily, she is able to snap out of it for the second half of the novel.

The second half of The Summoning makes me think the rest of the series will be even better because all the introductory stuff is over now and we can get to the meat of the story without having to wait for the characters to catch up.

Another thing I liked was that the novel took place at a kind of boarding school. I have enjoyed every novel I've read that takes place at a boarding school. The Summoning is no exception. My streak with boarding school settings is still running. ;)

The novel ends on a major cliffhanger. I was a little mad Armstrong couldn't have given us a little more closure (frankly, I wondered if it wasn't to ensure sales of future installments after such a lackluster start). I look forward to the second installment and hope I'm able to read and review it as well.
G
#1 Reviewer
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account