Review Detail

Kids Fiction 21
Filled with Holiday Traditions
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Once Upon a Diwali is a beautiful picture book that teaches readers the customs and history of Diwali. Riya is a young girl excited to celebrate Diwali with her family. There are many traditions associated with the Festival of Lights, including eating sweet treats. One tradition that Riya is afraid of is fireworks at night. She says they are too loud. Riya learns more about the tradition of Diwali and overcomes her fear of fireworks with the help of her family.

What I Liked: I am so happy to see more books about Indian holidays being published. Readers are so engrossed in the story they don't even realize they're learning about Diwali and its traditions. The illustrations are vibrant and do a wonderful job of capturing the essence of Diwali. I love it when a book has little extras at the end of the book. Readers can enrich their reading experience with a glossary, a recipe, and a craft found at the end of the book.

What Left Me Wanting More: Although they had a glossary at the end of the book to help me learn the new words, I had trouble pronouncing many of them. It would have been beneficial to have the phonetic pronunciation and the word in the glossary.

Once Upon a Diwali is an excellent addition for anyone interested in learning about Diwali and its customs.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account