(Updated: June 01, 2024)
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Learning Value

I gave this book 4.5 stars.

What I Loved:
From her opening lines, Fleming set the stage for the secrets and intrigue to come. She gave justice to the “Enigma Girls” and their contributions to the Allies’ win in WWII, telling their stories in an approachable way. I have read about the experiences in London during WWII, but Fleming made me feel the sense of the unknown and fear of sending children to the countryside, not knowing if they would ever be reunited; the strong sense of duty, each person gladly contributing to the war effort what they were able; the attitudes of men believing women were only of value as mothers and wives; the exhaustion these girls felt by staying up days at a time to prevent troops being attacked.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The story—their lives. Books can’t last forever, but I would have gladly read for weeks about how this experience shaped their lives and how their family, friends, and neighbors reacted once the truth finally came out.

The Final Verdict:   Wow. Fleming wrote with deftness and sensitivity, giving us well-rounded images of these young heroes as brilliant, strong, dedicated, terrified, exhausted, and loving women. Any lover of history or champion of girls or teenagers will enjoy this book and the remarkable stories it tells.
Good Points
Excellent writing, approachable nonfiction, a book that makes you feel all the feels.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions