Review Detail

A small guide for big feelings
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

The Magical Science of Feelings is a fascinating exploration of emotions, highlighting some important information and action strategies to handle these emotions in an easy-to-understand manner.

I was impressed with the way the author had written this book, specifically for children. They cover more complex emotions and how these are directed within our bodies, originating from our brains but affecting us as a whole. Children will be about to easily understand our intricate neurological system.
Reminiscent of the movie Inside Out, we have fun, expressive characters - amygdala, the hippocampus, the neocortex, and the limbic system - with easy to remember nicknames - Amy, Hippo, Neo, Lim, respectively. The book depicts the role these four play every time we experience an emotion or its reaction, similar to the movie mentioned above.

I absolutely loved the different activities mentioned in the book. These are some wonderful exercises that children, and even adults, can take part in when they are feeling sad, overwhelmed, etc.

The cartoonish graphics help make the book feel more child friendly and accessible, complementing the content perfectly. The artist matched the page colors to the emotions being felt in that section, which I thought was really neat!

The target age is 5 to 8 years, but I think this would be a fantastic book for any age. It would be a great fit in homes, classroom libraries as well as counselling centers.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions