Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I really have to start taking notes as I read. I read this book in one sitting then jumped right into a new book. Eight books later, I can hardly remember what I liked and didn't like about The Vicious Deep.

I do remember that I liked that this story is told from a merman's point of view. I'm glad that the menfolk are getting some representation in a female dominated genre. No need to be sexist, afterall. Tristan was pretty darn funny. He was arrogant and witty, just like you would expect most teenage boys to be. He was a 100% believable narrator.

Then there is Layla. I liked her a lot. She was strong-willed and independent. She was also not a mermaid. She found out about Tristan's secret, by pure chance. Of course, since it's been like 3 months since I read this book, I forgot why exactly I liked her other than those reasons.

I also want to point out that I enjoyed the world building. The descriptions of the merworld were great. It is so important to have a believable setting-- even in a fantasy type book. The old school rules of fighting for the tritan were pretty extreme, and added to the plot. There were a few characters that I didn't care for that kept hanging around, but whatever. I'm sure they will find their place somewhere in book 2.

But what really irked me about this story was the ending. Did anyone else think it ended too abruptly? I was crusing along enjoying the quest, when BAM. End of book one. Just like that too. I had to actually flip back a few pages to make sure I didn't skip something. I really thought I had missed a chapter or two. That was a huge disappointment. I love a good cliffhanger, but not when the story seems to hit a brick wall at 65 MPH. Of course, though, I'll have to read The Savage Blue because I need to know how and if Tristan can find the rest of the trident pieces.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account