Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First, a little intro to our protagonist. Tristan is just your normal sixteen year old guy. He works as a lifeguard because as everyone knows, chicks love lifeguards, because "lifeguards are the more naked version of firemen - the girls just love the uniforms. In my case, the orange Speedo." His favourite things are the water, and, obviously, girls.

So anyway, one normal morning, while his best friend Layla and his ex Maddy gossip mean things about him, a freak storm appears out of nowhere. Everyone panics, and while trying to save a lady, Tristan is dragged out to sea and missing for three days. When he finally washes up on shore, Tristan can't remember a thing, except for weird dreams about a shark mermaid that he dismisses as a crazy dream (seriously, wouldn't you?) He feels different, but definitely not as different as when his legs fuse together and he becomes a merman and he discovers his mum used to be a mermaid and a naked guy appears in the bathtub (you'll understand that one when you read the book :P) And then of course, in case that wasn't enough, he discovers he is the grandson of the sea king.

I love Tristan because he could sometimes be pretty insensitive and lack tack, but he was really funny and he learned from his mistakes. He is arrogant and witty and thinking a lot about girls, which is exactly what I expect to be going through a teenage guy's mind. It's really hard to find a female author who can write such a convincing male part, so congratulations, Cordova. You have earned my respect.

Now, the love interest. In this case, his bestie Layla. You know how there are all those books out there where the female protagonist has a guy best friend and the best friend's in love with her but she doesn't notice? Of course you have. Well, this is kinda like that in that Tristan and Layla are best friends and Layla doesn't notice Tristan's in love with her. I liked this love thing (even though I usually hate it) because we finally get to see the best friend side of this annoying unrequited love thing that many YA books use. I loved the twist at the end () where Layla has feelings for Tristan as well but thinks he's doing some "mer-thing" to her and so now officially hates him for doing something he didn't actually do. Yep, annoying, right? ()

The ending was a little bit abrupt. It was like, yay, we found the first piece of the trident and then - THE END. I was like, okay, where are we going next guys, ooo great Flo- Oh. Okay then. Slam the door in my face, why don't you? Anyway.

In the Vicious Deep, Cordova creates an amazing sea world that I can picture perfectly, and great, funny characters to go with it. I can't wait for the next book where she will hopefully expand on this world and its characters.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account