Review Detail

An Interactive and Highly Informative Picture Book
(Updated: August 30, 2024)
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Wildlife Crossings: Protecting Animal Pathways Around the World is a look at how seven different and amazing animals' crossings have changed over the course of recent decades.

Wildlife Crossings is a beautiful tribute to all animals losing their homes for one reason or another.
Each animal gets a four page section, detailing their struggles with migratory paths or food trails, and what humans are doing to solve these issues. It was interesting to read some of the innovative ways people are coming up with to help these animals, and more, such as canopy bridges made from rope and bamboo, and wildlife crossings.
There is a lot of reading for each animal. You could easily choose to not read the bubbles found throughout the illustrations. However, I found it was the perfect amount to have your child[ren] silently look for the animals (i.e.: four cougars, seven pink salmon, etc). while reading these information tidbits.

I really enjoyed the illustrations. Each animal is beautifully done in a way that is appealing to both children and adults, while still looking like something you'd find in a retro field guide. I loved the expressions on the animals' faces, going from concerned in one spread and happy/relaxed on the next.

While Wildlife Crossings does a fantastic job of interesting children, I would have loved a source guide in the backmatter to further encourage children to see what is being done, or even what they could do in their own communities.

Wildlife Crossings: Protecting Animal Pathways Around the World is a wonderful addition to any bookshelf.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account