Review Detail

Kids Indie 136
Charming Bedtime Story
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

“When the Sun Goes Down" is a charming little bedtime book that quickly became a favorite in our house. The book is about families winding down for the night and is one of those rare finds that engages children and has adults reflecting on the storytelling. What stands out is how it features such a wonderfully diverse range of families. You see animals heading home from different adventures—whether riding bikes or flying planes—and each family is unique. It’s refreshing to see non-traditional family structures represented so naturally. I particularly love that the book includes families that consist of a grandmother and child. However, I wish there were even more variations, like a family with a grandfather, two grandparents, or even an aunt, to make the representation even broader.
One of the many benefits of illustrated books is that the illustrations provide a deeper level of storytelling. The illustrations are gorgeous, with soft, soothing colors setting the perfect bedtime tone. At the same time, the illustrations provide just enough detail to spark conversations with my little one without feeling busy or overwhelming. As an adult, I appreciate each illustration's warmth and the sense of whimsy that permeates the story.
The book's gentle and rhythmic rhyming pattern makes it a delight to read aloud. Rhyming books are so beneficial for small children and their language development; finding one so easy to incorporate into our regular rotation is delightful. Overall, "When the Sun Goes Down" is a wonderful addition to any bedtime routine. It's not just a book to help your little one wind down for the night; it's also a celebration of family, no matter what your family looks like.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account