Young Adult Fiction 639
LOVE this book!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This sequel continues the amazingly fun writing style of Margaret Owen. I was hooked immediately from the start when the cynical Vanja claims she did not mean to start a cult. Emeric Conrad catches up to her and to his horror must see if she is guilty to pass his trials to become a full Prefect. Her con has now put him in danger as the Scarlet Maiden seems to not only be real now but also wants him as her virgin sacrifice.
To save Emeric, they work to find an alternative to him being a virgin sacrifice and along the way there are several surprises involving the family that her mother took away from her when she was four. It felt so real that the lies about herself that she was told by hateful people and that she must face them if she can hope to have a meaningful relationship with Emeric. While it would seem a simple solution for him to no longer qualify as the sacrifice, it was a long road handled very well in mending their relationship and the parts of herself that she needed to make it special and not just the best of bad choices.
I love the crafty schemes she pulled off along their journey and that she used her abilities for good this time. I love the path forward they have and was shocked at the twist at the end. They faced one danger without seeing the real danger posed to strike at the end. This is easily one of my favorite reads this year and I can’t wait for the last book’s release.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account